









Wednesday night Paul and I rode up to Timpooneke with Roland while the kids rode with grandma and grandpa. We secured two campsites for our weekend adventure. It was beautiful up there. There were so many types of summer wild flowers. It was great for me to be out in the fresh air. We saw a cute little bunny and got to run around and get out some energy. We set up the tents and left back for home excited for the weekend ahead.
Friday I spent most of the day preparing for our trip. Paul got home a little after 4:00pm and packed up the car. When we got to our site Roland already had the dutch oven dinner going. We set up camp and then I started my blackberry cobbler. Dinner was delicious. We had country ribs, veggies, potato salad, watermelon, and green salad. After dinner we had pineapple upside down cake that Roland made in a dutch oven and some birthday cake for David. My cobbler never got cooked through.
After dinner the kids had a blast exploring the forest. They found a mini waterfall and trails that led all around our camp. They managed to get pretty wet and muddy. Emma got into some stinging nettle. It made a rash on her leg but we iced it down and she survived.
As it got later, we built a fire, sat round visiting with one another and grandma told stories. We roasted marshmallows and made smores. Around 10:00pm it was time was to go to bed. We went and brushed our teeth and the water spigot and took turns using the outhouse.
We got settled down in the tent and only had to go to use the bathroom a few time throughout the night! Andrew got us up at least three times saying he had to go potty. We made him go outside the tent twice. There weren’t enough blankets so Paul and I shared. Each time I would adjust a burst of cold air would get into the blankets. I adjust a lot! He made me promise we would never share blanket again.
Morning came quickly after our last trip to the bathroom. I sat there feeling a bit cold watching the tent get brighter and brighter. I had just warmed myself up and fallen back to sleep when a drop of dew landed right on my forehead. I was awake again. Ugg! We had thought about staying over another night, but after almost no sleep we packed up and went home.
I bake my cobbler in the oven when we got home. It was alright, I won’t be making it again. I did some laundry and we took a nap. I think we will continue to be once a year campers, at least until we get sleeping bags and can get some better rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment