There is no doubt in my mind that we bought the house we were meant to live in 5.5 years ago.
When we first came to Utah we knew we would be living near St. George for a couple of months before moving the business north. Were renting a home very temporarily in the pathetic little town of Ivins.
As the move north came closer we set aside one Saturday to find our house. I had been doing all the legwork from my computer and had compiled a list of homes I wanted to look at. Paul looked over my shoulder and asked why we weren’t looking at that house pointing to one on a list that had been sent to me by our realtor. I said, “Because it is small, has ugly heart railing, terraces and a really steep driveway.” He then said, “I want to see it.” So we added it to the list.
This house was probably the 3rd or 4th house we saw. When we walked in it was like the heaven’s had opened and we could hear angels singing. It was so far superior to the rest we couldn’t believe it.
We quickly toured the other houses but knew that this was “the one”. We went back home and found out quickly that our offer had been accepted. At some point Paul went back up to Utah Co. to do the walk through and called me to let me know how it was going. He mentioned that it was a little rougher than he had remembered. Oh well, it was our first home.
We moved in and quickly started to realize there were flaws. Structurally the house is great but there were features we neglected to look for and it was lacking storage and living space. There was no way we could deny that we saw this house through rose-colored glasses.
I kept waiting for the day, or overwhelming experience, when I could say “Ah, now I know why this house was suppose to be ours” but it never really came.
I sit back and wonder if it was so I could meet Maggie and all the other fabulous ladies of the ward, or if was so Emma could become such good friends with the amazing Jenna. Maybe it was because my Heavenly Father knew how much I would enjoy looking out my living room window and seeing the breathtaking view of the entire valley below us. Maybe He knew how happy it would make me each time I saw the majestic mountains out my kitchen window, or the cities lights reflecting off the lake at night and knew the joy I would get from watching the amazing sunsets every evening. It’s also possible that it was so I could get excited time and time again by seeing all the deer going through my yard or crossing the street in front of me. Maybe it was so the kids could attend one of the greatest schools around with fun, loving and attentive teachers and staff. Or it could’ve been so we could get to know and become friends with our amazing neighbors.
There have been so many great experiences and fabulous perks to living in this house that it makes it hard to think about leaving. The time has come though where we might be at that point.
We are ready for more space, ready to live somewhere a little flatter, and without so much yard to take care of.
Saturday I was playing on the internet and found a listing for a newer, larger house that we could afford. It had everything we were looking for and the kids wouldn’t have to change schools. I’ve played this game before but for some reason this was different. Usually I forget about it and move on but this has been consuming my every thought.
Maggie and I walked through on Monday and as much as I wanted to hate the house so I could move on, I fell in love.
It would be a great step up for us, but all the stars would have to align just right for it to work. I mean with the housing market the way it is, we might have to stay here indefinitely! We are praying though that if it is meant to be ours we will know it like we did with this house and that things will fall into place.
Right now it seems impossible and unlikely that we could pull this off. So many things would have to happen, but you never know. In one hour Paul and I will be touring it together and we will decide if we want to begin the journey of trying to sell our home.
1 comment:
Hope it works out for you, although I'd hate to see you leave. On the other hand it's supposed to snow ANOTHER 6" and I completely understand about wanting to live where it's flatter. I've always looked at your driveway in awe wondering how you ever get up it in the winter.
Post a Comment