Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Hope of America

(Emma is in the first red strip under the blue field on the far left. See the red sticking out too far? That's her teacher. Each stripe is made of two rows. She is in the second  row just two in from the edge)

Tonight we went to see Emma perform in the 5th grade chorus at Hope of America. This is part of America's Freedom Festival that holds events all summer long. This program spanned two nights. They had over 8,000 students from 72 different schools participating. Am I a bad mom if I say I really kind of hated it? It was soooo long. We got there right before 6:00 and it went until 9:00. The pre-show was a bunch of dancers that really didn't captivate us. Andrew was literally in tears he was so bored by it all. His only source of entertainment was torturing me and Paul. (We thought the show would be enough entertainment. Boy were we wrong.) Once the real show got started (at 7:30 mind you) it was much better but there was still too much stuff between the songs the 5th graders sang. For example, I am not sure that I needed to see a woman in her 90's do the splits. I could have gone to the grave without witnessing that. It was...something. The kids sounded great and it was obvious that they worked very hard. 

Here is Emma before the performance.
This is after when we picked her up with the other students from her school.
Here are the flowers for those who were wondering what they looked like. They are very beautiful.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Three hours?? Seriously? Don't the people who organized the event know that those little fifth graders would have been dying about halfway through?

And, no, you're not a bad mom for not enjoying it. You're SANE.

Rees said...

That really DID make for a seriously LONG night. Like you said, though, the kids worked hard and sounded great :) I think the flashlight song redeemed the whole thing for me!