Yesterday I was making dinner plans for the week. I wanted Joi's Southwest Soup. I know it is June but it sounded really good to me. I figure since I'm the one cooking I get to choose every once in a while. Well I made it this afternoon and felt pretty guilt about making such a big lunch on fast Sunday. I got over it though once I started eating. Yummy! It was even overcast and drizzly making soup during this time of year seem oddly appropriate.
Here is the recipe that my sister in law Joi gave me years ago. I have made a few changes to the recipe which I have listed below.

Southwest Soup
16 ounces tomato sauce
2 cans (14 ounces) chicken broth
1 large tomato diced
1 large green pepper diced
1 large purple onion diced
1/4 teaspoon thyme
Dash of Tabasco sauce
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
Combine all ingredients and simmer 20 minutes. Serve over crushed tortilla chips and top with grated cheese.
Substitutions- I like to boil one or two chicken breasts while the vegetables are simmering then shred the cooked chicken into the soup. I also add a cup or more of frozen corn and a can of rinsed black beans. We have also topped it with cubed avocado and that is yummy too.
1 comment:
YUMMERS! I am gonna try this for sure ;-)
Post a Comment