I am pretty dang steady on the ice these days. If we continue to go once a year, in five years I might be awesome. Okay let's not get ahead of ourselves.
So as some of you may remember we took the kids ice skating for the first time last year. This year everyone was looking forward to going back. When we got there they were doing the zamboni.(we didn't know any of this at the time) Andrew saw someone fall in the crowd as everyone was getting back on the ice. Apparently she cut her hand on a skate. After that he was freaked out but wouldn't tell us why! He wanted no part of ice skating.
We tried to reason with him, not knowing why all of a sudden he wouldn't even try it was very difficult. He wasn't giving in. We threatened him with no I-Pod for a month. He said it would be worth it. At this point I was just ticked. We had just. gotten. there. We ignored him for a few times around the rink but then finally I had had enough. Paul and I wrestled him on the ice and practically carried him to the other side.
He made it to the benches and stayed there pouting for a long time. Finally we had a rational talk and I found out he was afraid of getting cut by someone's skates. I told him we would hold both hands, wouldn't let go, ever and that if something did happen he had on gloves so he would be okay. He decided to go around with us once.
After that we found him a walker and he perked right up. He had gotten way too tall to use a cone this year but the walker worked, barely. If he was any taller it wouldn't have.
Finally, after all the drama, we were able to skate around and have some good family fun. It's just dark enough in there that the "action" shots were really dark or really blurry.
Poor think looks like he's handicapped.

I think he was telling Paul he was having fun.
Emma amazed me again. She has no fear and does really really well. I was so proud of her.
Andrew on the other hand can't even stand on the ice for a picture LOL! Poor thing is just like me.
It was zamboni time again so we took a hot chocolate break.

We went around a few more times and Andrew even gave away his walker to a little boy who "needed it more than he did". How sweet is that? He went around a little bit on his own but preferred to hold on to someone. Toward the end I was feeling really good out there. It was so much fun. I was almost able to stop myself, I turned 360 degrees a few times (on purpose!) and I was able to dodge kids without my arms turning into windmills. I would like to go again a little sooner this time. I think it would be good for both Andrew and I.
1 comment:
Well, it's a bit of a drive for you, but the Olympic Skating Oval is just around the corner from my house and it's open all year...
Post a Comment