Monday, February 02, 2009

Day Two and I Tried Something New

Today was a long day. The kids were out of school and we all worked hard. I cleaned Andrew’s room, helped Emma with hers,(too bad we didn't finish), did the dishes and cleaned the counters, packed up several more boxes, did more laundry that I can even wrap my brain around, (this is just a very small portion of what I washed, folded and put away)

made no-bake cookies with Emma, did more dishes and washed counters again, took Andrew to Chandler’s, took Emma to piano, vacuumed, picked Emma up, picked Andrew up an hour later, put the laundry away while the kids were getting along really well

 and then started dinner. 

On Saturday we made a dinner menu for the week. I made the grocery list for the things I needed and all was right in the world. Well that is until minutes before we were suppose to eat dinner, tonight. 

I have several recipes that would make anyone interested in the culinary arts simply horrified. They consist of such ingredients as Cheese Whiz and Cream of Chicken Soup. Tonight we were supposed to eat something I call Nacho Chicken. 

It is made with a 16 oz. jar of Cheese Whiz, one of the small cans of roasted green chilies, a can of cream of chicken soup and a little milk to thin things out. After everything is warmed through and incorporated together (do this in a sauce pan on your range) you add cooked, shredded chicken.  We put this on top of a baked potato and add Fritos. Voila, dinner is served.

While everything was going into the pan and I found out we were out of the soup. I still have no clue how that is possible.  It seems like that stuff is always hanging around my food storage and I can’t use it fast enough. Anyway I didn’t want to call a neighbor in a panic (I do that far too often) so I Googled and came up with a recipe here for homemade soup and I had everything I needed.

Can you believe it? I made my own cream of chicken soup! I didn't even know it was an option until a while back I saw someone mention it on my message board. I never actually thought I would try it. Why should I right?

It was easy, really good and there were no scary chicken pieces to pull out. I could tell you things about the chicken in those condensed soups but I will spare you. What I will say is, after working at a chicken farm as a summer job in South Dakota Paul asks me to pull out each and every piece of that chicken they use.

So I never need to buy a can of that high sodium, scary chicken soup again. My new recipe was a success!

No comments: