Thursday, October 01, 2009

New Recipe for October

Can you believe I tried a new recipe on the first day of the month? Gooseberry Patch has a blog that I check and today they posted a recipe for Corn and Potato Chowder. Doesn't that sound divine? Since the last two days have been in the 40's I had really been craving soup. I had almost everything I needed for it too. What a happy coincidence.
Corn & Potato Chowder

1 T. butter
3 to 4 slices bacon
1 c. onion, chopped
3/4 c. green pepper, chopped
1 T. garlic, minced
2 T. all-purpose flour
4 to 5 c. chicken broth
5 c. redskin potatoes, peeled and chopped (I left the skin on most of my potatoes)
2 c. carrots, chopped
2 c. corn
1 c. heavy cream (I used whipping cream)
1 t. fresh thyme or dill, chopped (I used dry dill)
2 T. fresh parsley, chopped (I used dried parsley)
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper

Melt butter in a stockpot; add bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside; reserve 1/4 cup drippings and return to stockpot. Add onions and peppers and heat until tender; stir in garlic and heat one minute longer. Remove from heat and sprinkle in flour; blend well. Gradually stir in 4 cups broth; add more as needed to reach desired consistency. Stir in potatoes and carrots. Return stockpot to heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender. Add corn, salt and pepper; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer. Stir in cream, herbs and reserved bacon; simmer 2 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

I thought it was really good but not that different from my potato soup. My kids family prefer the potato because there are less scary vegetables. (Andrew didn't even want to try it because of how it looked. He ended up clearing out his bowl though!) My potato soup is far from healthy but I think it might have less fat than this. I have to admit I had some issues with cooking bacon in butter and then consuming all the drippings but I did it. Paul didn't think the bacon or the grease added much to the flavor and I agree. I would totally make this and eat it again but not very often since I am trying to eat healthier.

No comments: