Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Grandma's Pumpkin Bars


Sorry, I didn't get a picture before they started to disappear.

We love these bars. I have to monitor Emma or she would eat the whole tray.

Paul requested them on Sunday. I told him that I would happily make them, if he did the dished. I have never seen him so willing to clean in my life.

The only downer to these is it makes a lot, more than our family can handle, and they don't store very well. We either try to make them when we can share them or I leave them out uncovered. You do have to trim off the dry edges. The rest is pretty good. If you cover them they get kind-of soggy and gross. Tupperware didn't really work either. Maybe just put a cloth over the pan? I don't know the best storage solution so you will just have to eat them all!

Pumpkin Bars

Wet ingredients:

2 Cups canned pumpkin (Libby's is a must)
1/4 C. cooking oil
4 eggs

Dry Ingredients:

2 Cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon slat
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1/2 bag of chocolate chips (In my house we only use milk chocolate. I will NOT waste calories on semi-sweet. They taste like poo. Ask me how I really feel.)

Topping:

Cinnamon and sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the wet ingredients in your mixer. Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly add to the wet mix. Once just combined pour into a greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan (cookie sheet with an edge) Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon and sugar. I like to put so much on it can't even soak in.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (My current oven cooks really hot. I only need 20 minutes these days.)

2 comments:

MamaBug said...

I've got one who is allergic to chocolate. Would you just omit the chips or substitute a different kind, and if so, what kind?

**MIGNONNE** said...

I guess I would leave them out. I don't know if any other would taste okay or not.