Sunday, January 03, 2010

Resolutions from 2009

Taking a note from my friend Maria (Waving Hi!) I am going to review what I wanted to do last year vs. how I really did.

In 2009 I planned to:

*Stop having such a foul mouth (this means being crude and cursing)

I think I improved dramatically however I have a long, long way to go. I am trying to change something that I have been doing for over 33 years and it's hard. I started cussing when I started talking. Seriously. It's not going to change overnight.

*To take a photo every day in an effort to learn my camera better (see other blog)

I think I only missed maybe 5 days throughout the whole year. Not too shabby. As far as learning my camera better? Yes, I suppose I did, but I still like to shoot on auto, a lot.

*To go somewhere new at least once a month (For example, it could be a new city, state, store, restaurant or activity. I just want to broaden out our horizons) Some places I would like to experience are Wyoming, Hawaii, Timpanogos Cave, La Caille, Logan Temple, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone and New York City. We already have a trip to Zion’s planned. We’ve never been there! Look at that, we’re off to a good start ;)

We did do this! Not everything was as exciting as I had hoped, a lot of months it was just a new restaurant, but we did have fun and I might do this one again.

Here is a small re-cap of some of our new experiences. We added two new states to the list of states we've been to (Oregon and Hawaii), we saw more of Wyoming than I think we needed to, we went to Mt. Rushmore, we went to Zion's and Stadium of Fire. We still haven't gone to La Caille, Timp. Cave, Logan Temple, Yellowstone or New York. We have a few things in the works that might cross some of those off the list ;)

*Of course I would like to lose weight. (Don’t hold your breath)

I lost between 5-7 pounds after the kids started school this fall. The problem is it was weight I put on in early 2009 while on vacations. Hopefully I can continue in the right direction in 2010.

*I also resolve to throw away more stuff and to be more organized. (Maggie are you listening? I already tackled my kitchen junk drawer. I only have the rest of the house left, Yeah me!)

Hmmm, I'm thinking this could be a fail. At the same time it might not be. I didn't really organize so much as just removed things and put them in storage. There really isn't space to organize. I did get rid of stuff but not as much as I brought in. Everything we did did make things around here slightly more livable.

*Finish reading the Book of Mormon with the kids (we have hit a plateau in Alma)

We did this!!! Now I can't decide if I want us to start it over or if we should start D&C and plan a trip to Nauvoo. I am leaning toward D&C and the trip for obvious reasons.

*Try not to procrastinate so much (I want to read my lesson for the first time the Sunday night that I taught)

I always started preparing my lesson early but maybe not this early. I think I am doing better at not procrastinating.

*Finish the Projects that I start (I have always had issues completing projects and committing to things. I'm not really sure why, but I am working on it. I know how great it feels when I do follow through with something and see it to the end so I want to do it more! I feel like I am already making leaps and bounds and that I crash through those old walls and barriers with each completed project. I just need to keep my momentum going. I would like to have six quilts done start to finish in 2009. Whew, that's a lot.)

Well I did finish three wall hangings and two quilts this past year and a few more tops. I would have had the tops quilted but it just costs sooo much money. Still I was not too far off from my goal.

*Try a new recipe once a month or more (We used to do this every Tuesday but when the kids got older and pickier we slacked. They are far more adventurous these days so it might work again. It would also be a great way to not eat out as much)

I was going gang-busters on this until Dec. I was going to try making homemade marshmallows but ran out of time before Christmas. After that I slacked. 11 out of 12 months I tried a new recipe. Once again, not too bad. I will probably do this again too.

*See how long I can go without soda (EEEEK!)

I can't tell you how much less soda Paul and I drank this past year. It's a lot less. I almost always got one when we went out to eat though. I just can't stand the ice cold water that restaurants always serve. It's still a work in progress.

*Do a scrapbook page a week (It should be easy with all the photos and new experiences LOL!)

Well I did do a lot of pages. Was it 56? I don't know for sure. What I do know is I didn't actually do one each week. It has made for a lot of work in 2010. I will be upset with myself if I went all year taking pictures but don't end up doing anything with them all. I have probably 5 months worth of pictures that I need to scrap. Oh well, with all the blogging I did I think my life was pretty well documented don't you ;)

I have started working on my list for this year. I know I am behind. What can I say? One resolution that I know for sure I am going to make is to shop less and sew more. I need to clear out my closets and finish up some projects. Fabric lines retire you know. If I don't start working my butt off I won't be able to find matching backing for my quilts. That would bug me. Hopefully I will have my 2010 list up soon.

3 comments:

Wingnut said...

Congrats on succeeding at so many of these! One of my unannounced goals is to scrapbook more in 2010. As it was in 2009, 2008, 2007... :O

Cloves said...

I don't even remember if I made resolutions for 2009. I bet that means I didn't meet them...

Looks like you did well though.

mreay said...

Hi back!! You should be proud...you did really good :D
Ahhh...Hawaii
BTW I LOVE THAIFOON's...saw it in an earlier post. Made me hungry.