Thursday, March 19, 2009

Utter Randomness

Ahhh. I almost forgot. Yesterday we got good mail. We got our tickets to Stadium of Fire. This is our first time going inside. Usually we are sitting out by the Marriott center watching the show with about a million of our closet friends. We had wanted to go last year (it was the first time we could afford to go) but then they got Miley Cyrus to come and the tickets sold out instantly. We were so out of luck. (unless we wanted to spend the $1,000 people had them listed on Ebay for) This year we bought tickets before we even knew who would be performing. We found out later that it is the Jonas Brothers. Emma isn't as excited as we thought she would be but we are going and that thrills me!
I was suppose to work today but Gary called last night and said not to come in. I was so excited that I would get to have the quite morning to finish my lesson for Relief Society today. I figured that way I would have all of Friday and Saturday to just practice it.

There are two conference talks that I have to cover. I have been reading through them and thinking about this lesson since January! I have a pretty good grasp on how I am going to intermingle them and present them but I am at a point where I need to decide what to cut out of each and it is throwing me for a loop. So here I am blogging. At least I have some laundry going so I'm not a total slacker.

I have also come to realize that if I have other projects hanging over my head I can't focus. Even though card group isn't until next week I busied myself (AKA not doing my lesson) by making the cards, this week. I am also spending too much time over-thinking the door decoration for teacher appreciation week. (More to come on that Monday)

Anyhoo here are my cards. They're nothing fancy, but I did step outside of my box and did some stitching on them and they are done with a week to spare.


Last night we went to a skate party. Emma had been practicing riding on her roller blades with Jenna just for this occasion. They would work their way up the hill and then come speeding back down. I chose not to watch this. It made me nervous. She came in on Tuesday with a big raspberry on her knee.

She didn't make a big deal out of it at all. The next day it had stiffened up and the gauze had gotten stuck to it. (Oh the whaling and gnashing of teeth. Please don't let me be anywhere near her when she gives birth) but that didn't stop her from skating. It did stop her from changing into pants that matched her t-shirt that she was suppose to wear.
We love that they allow scooters there. (Andrew's in the green sweatshirt, yes he wore it two days in a row)
It was fun talking and hanging out friends while the kids did their thing but it was loud and DIRTY. My arm kept getting stuck to my table. Ewww. The food there left a little to be desired as well. You had your choice of crappy pizza, bad nachos or a dirty water weenie (Maybe they were roasted. Who knows, really who cares? I wasn't taking my chances with any "meat" from a skating rink) We opted for crappy pizza and bad nachos.

After we were done skating we got a "FREE MEAL" (I hate how they yell that out) from Cafe Rio because you know, eating a giant, chicken burrito served enchilada style at 8:30 at night is always a good idea for someone wanting to drop a few (like 30) pounds. After that we headed home, got the kids showered up and put them to bed. They crashed pretty quick last night and that's always a good thing.

Now on to other randomness.

As you know one of my resolutions was to try a lot of new things this year. Recipes, restaurants, stores and locations are all included. We have been doing really well with this resolution and it has been a lot of fun. There are others that I am struggling with a bit more though. Yes I had soda last night, twice. Shut up!

On Sunday we made steaks with Jack Daniels Sauce, another new recipe. It is something I had been wanting to try for years. We finally got brave enough to buy the whisky while we were in Wyoming for New Year's so there was nothing stopping us except the weather. Now that it is officially grilling season again we went for it. I wouldn't say it is exactly like TGI Fridays but it is super close.
Here is a link to the recipe. If you need a Tablespoon of Jack let me know. ;) I will also put the recipe here.

This seriously took almost three hours to make and good grief did our house stink while the garlic was roasting. Whoa! I finished it before church (No one told me I smelled like garlic on Sunday. We you all just being nice?) and kept it in the fridge while we were gone. I had to heat it back through when we got home because it has gotten too thick. Also you don't want to marinade in this because of all the sugar. Sugar in marinades is what causes your steak to burn and get crusty. We soaked ours in teriyaki and then basted the meat with this at the very end, like a minute or two on each side. We had a little dish of it to dip into and that is where it's at. I didn't dip a couple of bites into it and it wasn't as good. You must dip!

Jack Daniel's Grill Glaze

Ingredients:

1 head garlic

1 tablespoon olive oil

2/3 cup water

1 cup pineapple juice

1/4 cup teriyaki sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 1/3 cup dark brown sugar

3 tablespoons lemon juice

3 tablespoons minced white onion (I used dry onion from my food storage and it worked fine)

1 tablespoon Jack Daniels Whiskey

1 tablespoon crushed pineapple

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:

Cut about 1/2-inch off of top of garlic. Cut the roots so that the garlic will sit flat. Remove the papery skin from the garlic, but leave enough so that the cloves stay together.

Put garlic into a small casserole dish or baking pan, drizzle olive oil over it, and cover with a lid or foil. Bake in a preheated 325 oven for 1 hour. Remove garlic and let it cool until you can handle it.

Combine water, pineapple juice, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat. Stir occasionally until mixture boils then reduce heat until mixture is just simmering.

Squeeze the sides of the head of garlic until the pasty roasted garlic is squeezed out. Measure 2 teaspoons into the saucepan and whisk to combine. Add remaining ingredients to the pan and stir.

Let mixture simmer for 40-50 minutes or until sauce has reduced by about 1/2 and is thick and syrupy. Make sure it doesn't boil over.

Now I am off to finish up my lesson. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Ariana Rose said...

The knee picture made me cringe. Poor girl. Scraped knees are the worst thing.

Do you really need to lose 30 pounds? That's how much I need to lose, but I don't think you look like you need to lose 30 pounds at all! You look very healthy.