Thursday, April 23, 2009

Day 3 part 2

Andrew I am glad that you are feeling better. We prayed for you last night. Yesterday afternoon after we talked to you guys we went out to lunch. After that we were determined to find some hats so we could drive with the top down on the car and not fry ourselves since the sun was out in force! We got some hats (mine isn’t what I was planning on getting but you do what you’ve got to do) and drove around with the wind blowing through our…hats. We stopped at a lookout on our way over to Wialea where whales are often seen migrating. We didn’t see whales but we saw a lot of sprays from their blowholes so we are anxious to see if we see some on our way to Molokini on Saturday.

After our drive we came back and cleaned up a little for our luau. It was a lot of fun! That was my anniversary gift from Paul. He knew I really wanted to go and I am so glad that we did. They had nine dancers who were also the same people who greeted us, sat us and did some demonstrations for us before the luau started.

It was fun watching them. It was like we “knew” them. One was way hot too ;) See?
This is how they make coconut milk. It isn't the water that you get when you crack one open. Who knew?
Here's the roasted pig. Poor piggy.
The food was really good and I finally got lei’d. I had told Paul (I know that sounds mean and forceful but that is how it works with him. You have to TELL him or he assumes you are just speaking to the air.) that on this trip, at some point, I wanted to get a lei. I had no idea it would smell so good or I would be wearing one all the time. The flowers are delicious.
They had a torch lighting ceremony with a cliff diver right at sunset.
I love this shot.
There were several dances representing different parts of Polynesia with different costumes for each dance.


The fire dancer was great and closed the show. I couldn't help but notice that he al burns all over his arms and legs. Scary, risky job!
I know you can't see much but I think this looks so cool.
The girl on the right is LDS.


After the luau we walked back up the beach walk to our hotel and crashed. We are trying to stay on Utah time so we get to bed by 9:00 and get up between 5:30 and 6:30 am. We are constantly amazed at all we can get done before lunch. We aren’t sure what we are going to do today. We were going to drive the road to Hana but there are flash flood warnings so we decided to put that off until Sunday. Aloha!

No comments: