I am still following through with the resolution of trying a new recipe every month. The reason I tried this recipe was simply out of desperation. I made chili for dinner. We go back and forth between scones (Utah's version) and cornbread as the side dish. I was planning on doing cornbread but Paul had other things in mind. He wanted scones. I didn't have have any of the frozen dough that I usually use for scones. Hmmm. Since our scones are more like fry bread I did a search for Indian Fry Bread. It was too late to use yeast so I picked a Manataka recipe that didn't call for any. It turned out like a deep fried biscuit, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it wasn't as sweet and bread-like as we are used to. Also I didn't smoosh them enough so some were still doughy on the inside. I don't think I would recommend the recipe to anyone but just incase someone wants to try it here it is. Fry bread
4 cups flour
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup warm water
Mix flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add in the shortening and water. Add only enough water to make dough stick together. Knead dough until smooth, make into fist-sized balls. Cover them with a towel for 10 minutes then pat them out into circles about the size of a pancake. Fry in hot cooking oil in cast iron skillet until brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
No comments:
Post a Comment