Warning there will be pictures of creepy crawlies at the bottom.
Lately we have been selling off the old furniture from Andrew's room. He had an oak dresser that dated back to when I lived at home! He is getting older, his tastes are changing and we figure it was time to give him a new look. This idea all started with a Bed Bath and Beyond sales catalog. They had the coolest Quiksilver bedding. I swooned. It was way to expensive though. We decided to do his room as inexpensively as possible since his taste changes all the time.
The boy has gone through many a beds in our six years here. We started with him in the crib. Then we got him a cheap ShopKo headboard with a "bookshelf" that he crammed too much junk in so we got rid of that and we bought him a loft bed. (it was up too high, he hated it, we still need to sell that)When found out that wasn't working we left it up and put his bed below it but that just took up way too much space so we took out the loft bed. Lately he has had no bed at all. Just the mattress on the frame.
We still have a lot of clutter to deal with. Tons. We want to take down the primary colored shelf in the corner and replace it with some cool art. He also has a primary colored ceiling fan that we will replace with a brushed silver boobie light. We are on the lookout for cheap back curtain so we can get rid of the Delta "blanket" that we have over the top part of his window.We are going to try and introduce a little orange here and there but want to avoid the look of Halloween. The toy boxes will be moved to storage and/or painted black.
For now it's a good start and he is really happy with the changes. Both kids have been in his room playing with legos the last couple of days because there is more space in there since so much fit under the bed.
For the budget makeover we took advantage of the cheap dorm stuff that is everywhere right now. We got the TV stand at Wal Mart for $20 and the bookshelf at Ikea. We had some silver hardware for the drawers we think will look cool. He loves his super, duper, cheap reading lamp.
We need a home for all the Webkinz and a new garbage can.
His new Ikea bed frame and bedding that cost about 1/5 of the price of the Quiksilver stuff.
The blanket grandma Renee made for Christmas matches perfectly.
He's not the only one with a new bed. I know I mentioned this on my other blog but it is worth mentioning twice. Trust me! We love our king bed. We didn't think one would ever fit in our room but it does. I feel like princess in the pea when I climb up on it. It is so tall. Did I mention we love it?
I ate the first green pepper out of our garden. It was a weird shape but still tasted good.
My squash has been suffering this year. If this little guy makes it it will be the first one. The others have started to whither away when they get about this size.
We are still packing up stuff here and there and taking it to storage when we have a chance. It is creating a lot of emotions. Part of me hates it, another part can believe all the crap we have that we technically don't need, part of me worries that we will never be able to sell and we will have to haul it all back here and try to fit it back in this house and then a tiny part of me is hopeful that it means we are moving toward bigger and better things. I will admit that it is creating a lot of anxiety within me and I am not dealing real well right now. I feel like I am on the verge of losing it. Paul keeps assuring me that we can have access to anything we need. It isn't gone, it's just put away. It isn't even really that so much as just stepping off into the unknown.Now the ickies are coming next. You've been warned!
One of these horrifically, disgusting, yet amazingly cool spiders takes up residency each year somewhere on our porch. (They are about the size of a quarter) I like to let them be because they almost always have bugs in their webs. Last year Paul killed it and I was upset. This year we had two, maybe more. He was begging to kill it because it was on the stairs where he has to carry down garbage. After I took this picture we sprayed it but I don't think it died. It's pretty gross but way cool at the same time.
On Monday night, as we were getting close to home, we see something in the road. Then we see it move. I had my camera so I asked Paul to pull over and asked the kids if they wanted to play with a snake. It got spooked and started moving much faster so I only got one picture of it. It went up into out ward members yard and into a bush.
Now I can't be for sure, but it looked like it had a rattle on it's tale. We didn't get close enough to find out for sure because that would just be stupid. Can anyone tell by this picture if this was a little rattle snake?



2 comments:
What size is your loft bed? I may know someone interested in buying one. :)
Ewwwww....not sure about that snake, my friend. I like snakes, don't get me wrong. I like the ones that are harmless and eat the mice and the spider and the bugs. Rattlesnakes are another story. The head on the picture of that one is consistent with the kind of triangular shaped head that rattlers have. Hmmmmm....
Okay --- don't kill those spiders. They are my favorites. They are called "Cat Face" spiders and they are very good at catching and eating bugs of all kinds. They call them cat face spiders because if you look at their abdomens a certain way, they look like a little orange tabby-striped cat face with little ears (part of the abdomen shape) and dark spots that look like little eyes and nose and sometimes even a little cat smile. Strange, I know...but I keep them around. They die off themselves when cold weather comes.
Post a Comment