We are getting close to the end of the month and I hadn't tried anything new yet. I saw this recipe for Foil Packet Chicken with Snow Peas and Carrots on the blog, My Kitchen Cafe (That is a link that will take you to the recipe) and decided to try it. It sounded yummy, easy and I am still of the mindset that there has to be something healthy that we will all eat. The only problem? I don't like Hoisin Sauce. I went to the store looking for substitutions and decided to try sweet and sour and a spicy szechuan sauce. I wanted to try plum sauce too but decided not to push my luck.
So without further adieu here is the recipe.
Foil Packet Chicken with Snow Peas and Carrots
*Makes 4-6 foil packets
One bag of baby carrots (I bought the super small ones)
2 cups sugar snap peas
1 (1-inch) piece of fresh gingerroot, peeled and grated
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I have the minced garlic from Costco and used that)
*Makes 4-6 foil packets
One bag of baby carrots (I bought the super small ones)
2 cups sugar snap peas
1 (1-inch) piece of fresh gingerroot, peeled and grated
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I have the minced garlic from Costco and used that)
Salt and pepper
I used 2 chicken breasts since I knew the kids would eat too much.
Sauce of your choice (Hoisin, Sweet and Sour, Spicy Szechuan or Plum all seem like good options)
I used 2 chicken breasts since I knew the kids would eat too much.
Sauce of your choice (Hoisin, Sweet and Sour, Spicy Szechuan or Plum all seem like good options)
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Cut 4 pieces of aluminum foil large enough to wrap everything up. In a small bowl, combine garlic and the ginger you just grated.
I like to trim up my chicken and get all the nasty stuff off. Also I wanted smaller pieces so I knew for sure it was cooked through since I couldn't peak in the packets to check.

Arrange the carrots and peas on the aluminum foil.
Brush both sides of the chicken with your sauce. Top each portion of vegetables with a piece of chicken. Salt lightly.

Fold up your packets. Put the foil packets on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes. Serve with rice, we like the jasmine rice. (I labeled mine since we had two different sauces)

Mine didn't turn out as pretty as the ones on the other blog. They didn't get that nice browning on them. This is the sweet and sour.

This is the spicy szechuan

Our Review: These were okay. Paul felt like the carrots were too crunchy (it didn't bother me but as we know he thinks veggies should be smooshy) and that they chicken in the sweet and sour was a bit dry. He preferred my spicy sauce but it was too spicy. We need to see if there is just szechuan instead of spicy. They ate the meat and rice but they totally steered clear of the veggies. I would be willing to mess around with this to make it fit my family better but I doubt we will make it again for a while.




1 comment:
This looks yummy. I'd eat them, and dh would eat them, but I think the kids would be tough sells. I'll have to see what I can come up with. :D
Post a Comment