Sunday, August 23, 2009

That's Not Something You See Everyday

Thursday I was just waiting around for the kids to get back from their first day of school. I still had 20 minutes or so before they arrived when I got a phone call from Angela. Se was letting me know of a photo op. Let me just say, I was so flattered that she would think to call me. It really made my day. She told me to drive to Lindon and I would see a bunch of hang-gliders. I asked if she thought I would have time to get there and back and she assured me I could do it no problem. I hopped in my car and started heading down my street. It didn't take long before I realized that they were all drifting right towards my house! I got a few pictures and then went back home and took a bunch more from my back yard. I can say that after watching these people I will never hang-glide. They are totally at the mercy of the wind. I saw them go forward, backward, sideways, and some even looked like they were going to spin out of control. It would totally freak me out. 

This was right above my house!
I thought these two were totally going to crash together but they pulled away.
This gives you an idea of how many there were. This is the northern most cluster. There were a few groups like this.
This was the middle cluster that was closest to my house.
I figured we would find this guy in our backyard. He was so close to the ground right above us.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Great pictures. As expected yours turned out much better than mine - at least you can tell they are hang-gliders, mine looked more like large birds. Look at my photo blog and you'll know I'm not exaggerating.

Tori Bennett said...

...Stalking you from 2peas...

This may have been the same day I saw a bunch down by my house. I'm in Mapleton and I counted at least 30 flying around our mountain and down toward Spanish. It was pretty cool. I wonder if there was some sort of class or group out that day? It was way too many to just be a good day to fly.