(Holy Cow! I don't know weather I should laugh or cry. I went upstairs to pack up the costume and Emma asked "Is that for you? No offense, but how is that going to fit?" All of a sudden the light bulb flickered on above my head. I put the costume on Emma. Guess what. If fits her just like the chick in the picture? Do they use hobbit's as models? I feel so much better about myself now, I think. Anyway I am trying to convince her that she should be Sally Swashbuckler. It looked adorable on her. Maybe we have a solution to the problem!)

Today I received this costume that I had ordered for Halloween. (Yes I am already counting down the days) It was my second on my list last year, my first choice option was an Indian maiden, but then I went a whole other direction and dressed up as Cruella.
Let’s start with the fact that the costume that arrived today is one size fits most. I am apparently, just barely, a most. It goes on, but it ain’t pretty. The fabric is cheap. No surprise there, it’s a costume.
The britches are made from a thin velvety material. They are stripped. They are tight. I have a bubble butt. See the problem? Also the slits go up a lot higher than it shows in the picture above. It isn't as modest as I hoped. Some slits go up almost mid-thigh. Even if I were thinner, er I mean it fit better, I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing it to the kids' school.
The shirt is very short (leaving said bubble butt exposed) and the elastic in the sleeve makes my arms feel like a linked sausage. The vest is one big scrap of fabric. They couldn’t even bother with armholes. You just have to place the two long strips over your shoulder. How convenient!
The vest is made from a flimsy moleskin fabric that clings to my velvety, stripped ass like it’s a giant flannel board. Since my sides are left exposed because of the over the shoulder “vest” you can clearly see that my too short shirt and elastic waist pants don’t meet. Hmmm. Muffin top anyone?
I could make parts of it work but it cost $40. Do I want to try to use the bits and pieces or do I start over and go back to square one? I hate shipping stuff back. That cost money so really I wouldn’t even get my $40 back.
My other option is to not eat until October 31 and see if I can get it to look presentable. I don’t think I like that option. I guess I am back to square one.
I have to admit, I’m disappointed. I’m no Sally Swashbuckler.
This is plan B. I am hopeful that I could put the shirt up on my shoulders making it 100% modest and appropriate for class parties. The downer is it costs twice as much money and I don't know for sure if I would be a large or extra large. I hate to order both and have to spend even more to ship it back. Maybe I should just wait for costumes to hit the stores like most people do. Hmm. There's an idea.

1 comment:
See, this is why you and I get along!
I too started thinking about costumes about a month ago.
The boys and I watched "Man in the Iron Mask" and we had a discussion about why they would send one twin away, how having two eldest sons can wreak havoc on a kingdom and how it leads to jealousy and war.
My twins then talked about which one of them would have been king and which would have been banished.
I got the idea in my head to have them be Lous and Phillipe for Halloween and have my youngest be D'Artangnen =0P
I have been looking for patterns ever since and since there aren't any, have been googling musketeer outfits to try and figure out how to make them.
I may just get lazy and have them be the three musketeers.
Post a Comment